Junior League of Washington's Kids in the Kitchen
The DC Dental Society Foundation is partnering with the Junior League of Washington for its annual “Kids in the Kitchen” event on February 25 from 10:00 a.m. –2:30 p.m. at the YMCA Anthony Bowen located on 1325 W Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20009. The Colgate van will be on hand and the Foundation is seeking 8-10 volunteers to work two hour shifts answering questions, passing out materials and performing dental screenings on the van. Volunteers interested in participating should sign up online
Questions? Please contact the DCDS Business Office at email@example.com
- This is a DC Society Foundation sponsored event to allow our members to volunteer in the community and provide a valuable service to residents of the District. We represent our Dental Society and ask all volunteers to be professional, courteous and respectful to the participants, just as they would be in their own practices. Many people who participate in the screening already have a dentist, many of which are DCDS members. We ask that you please refrain from passing out business cards, marketing your practice or self-promoting to participants.
- If you see a patient that has a possible suspicious lesion in their mouth, show the patient the area of concern if possible and refer them back to their dentist of record to have it evaluated. If they do not have a dentist, refer them to the DC Dental Society’s website (dcdental.org). Click on the “Public” Tab at the top and they will see a link to the “Find a Dentist” tool.
- We are providing dental screenings ONLY. We are not doing dental or periodontal exams on participants.
- You may encounter a patient that has an abscess, decay or periodontal issues and may not have seen a dentist in a long time due to economic concerns. Take a moment to explain that you see some dental problems in their mouth and refer them to our DC Dental Society website (dcdental.org). If they click on the “Public” tab at the top, they can find a link to a list of clinics that provide “Reduced Fee or Free Dental Care”. We will also have a printed sheet on site with these clinics/contact info for those who may not have internet access.
- Please be respectful of the other dentists who are volunteering during your shift and stay at the booth/van during your assigned time. The booth can get very busy at times and we need all of our manpower to get people through and keep the waiting time short.
- Smile and have a great time!