Topic: Dental Professional Liability & Risk Management
Speaker: Andrew Gerner and John Murphy, J.D.; offered in partnership with R.K. Tongue Co., Inc.
5:00 p.m. – Networking Reception
5:45 p.m. – Business Meeting (Member Vote
6:00 p.m. – Speaker
8:00 p.m. – Networking Reception with Speakers
In today’s litigious society, managing risk is more important than ever before. Don’t wait until after you’ve had a malpractice claim to learn the most effective ways to protect your patients – and your practice. Learn from the experiences of your colleagues as our presentation and discussion of actual claims lead you and your staff through a myriad of key risk exposures. The topics discussed during the course include:
- Managing adverse events
- Creating patient records that pass the Amnesia Test and support your care
- Communicating in a litigious world
- Informed consent and informed refusal
- Updated claim statistics
- Emerging risk issues, and much more
After Attending the Dental Professional Liability Risk Management Seminar, participants should be able to:
- Implement a team approach to patient safety and risk management practices
- Effectively apply the informed consent process to improve patient understanding, safety and satisfaction
- Develop and implement methods to document and assess adverse outcomes and patient dissatisfaction
- Assess the risk management implications of various doctor-patient interactions, including informed refusal and patient termination
- Implement record keeping practices that enhance patient care and reduce malpractice risks.
- Understand how the standard of care and negligence apply to dental professional liability
Disclaimer: This presentation will not qualify attendees for a discount on their insurance.
Andrew Gerner, CFP® – Vice President
E. Andrew Gerner, CFP® is Vice President and an equity member of the insurance firm R. K. Tongue Co., Inc. He is also President and Founder of the R. K. Tongue-affiliated investment and financial services firm Tongue | GERNER Financial Services, LLC.
Andrew received undergraduate degrees in Economics and Public Policy from St. Mary’s College of Maryland, graduated Cum Laude, played Varsity Lacrosse, and received academic, NCAA and Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) honors including Honorable Mention All-American, Academic All-American, CAC All Conference, and CAC Silver Anniversary Team. Mr. Gerner continues to study professionally within the insurance and financial services industry at The College for Financial Planning.
Andrew is a member of the State Administrator Advisory Board of the Professional Protector Plan® for Dentists, one of the Nation’s largest, oldest, and most respected dentist-specific professional liability and business insurance programs. His professional accomplishments and awards include State Administrator of the Year for the Professional Protector Plan® for Dentists, and membership in Guardian Life Insurance Company’s Leader’s Club and Disability Insurance Inner Circle.
John J. Murphy III, Esq.
John has tried to verdict more than 100 civil jury or bench trials and represents clients before various licensing boards, as well as in mediations and binding arbitrations. While his primary practice area still focuses on defending health care providers and long-term care facilities, he also works with clients involved in business, commercial, and personal injury litigation.