Location: Westin Georgtown
Address: 2350 M St. NW, Washington, District of Columbia
Contact: Andres Bachelet
Phone: (202) 367-1163
Pre-registration for this event is now closed. On-site registration opens at 5:30pm.
Download the handouts below
Tuesday, December 11, 2018
6pm – 7:30pm Session 1
7:45pm – 8:45pm Session 2
Please note pricing:
- Members: $0
- Non-Members: $75
You may register for one session or both.
Topic: Suspicious Oral Lesions: Recognition and Management (Clinical)
Instructor: Kitrina Cordell, DDS, MS
Disclaimer: Dr. Cordell does not have any financial relationships to disclose for this continuing education program.
This course will provide the dental professional a review of suspicious oral lesions encountered in the dental practice. Numerous clinical images will be provided to give the clinician a thorough review of the appearance of these lesions. The course will also review the current statistics of oral and oropharyngeal cancer, risk factors associated with the diseases, examination tools including light-based optical examination systems, the oral brush test and traditional scalpel biopsy. In addition, techniques for thorough oral cancer screening, patient education related to warning signs of oral cancer and self-oral cancer screening will be covered.
At the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Recognize clinical features of premalignant oral lesions including leukoplakia, proliferative verrucous leukoplakia, erythroplakia, smokeless tobacco associated lesions and oral submucous fibrosis.
- Recognize lesions suspicious for oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.
- Understand risk factors associated with development of oral and oropharyngeal cancers.
- Understand current statistics of oral and oropharyngeal cancer.
- Understand the indications or contraindications for use of examination and diagnostic tools including the oral brush test and light-based optical examination systems.
- Be able to provide patients with a thorough clinical oral cancer screening and educate them on the warning signs and symptoms of oral cancer and self-oral examination.
About the Speaker
Dr. Kitrina Cordell i
s Chair of the Department of Diagnostic Sciences and Associate Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Dentistry. Dr. Cordell received her BS in Zoology/Pre-Dentistry from Ohio University followed by her DDS and MS in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology from The Ohio State University. Prior to joining the faculty at LSU in 2010, Dr. Cordell was as member of the faculty at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry for eight years. At LSU School of Dentistry Dr. Cordell is responsible for educating dental, dental hygiene and advanced education students in clinical and didactic settings; she works in the Faculty Dental Practice diagnosing and treating patients with a wide variety of oral diseases. She actively participates in the LSU Oral Pathology Biopsy Service. Dr. Cordell has published on a variety of topics in the field of oral pathology. She is a member of the ADA, a Fellow of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology and a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology.