DC Dental Society Foundation Scholarship
Deadline for application: 09/17/2023
Apply on the DC Dental Society Foundation Scholarship Application page.
The DC Dental Society Foundation established a dental student scholarship in 2023 to support Howard University College of Dentistry (HUCD) students and their contributions to dentistry. This scholarship was established to act on our concerns about the high cost of dental education by providing meaningful financial assistance to dental school students. Scholarships of $1,000 will be awarded annually to up to three students enrolled in the Howard University College of Dentistry.
The award is subject to eligibility requirements. Each scholarship is awarded at the discretion of the DC Dental Society Foundation Scholarship Committee. Nominations and letters of endorsement for student applicants may be submitted by HUCD alumni, HUCD faculty members, or DC Dental Society members. Candidates shall demonstrate financial need and be in good academic standing.
Each candidate’s application documents will be reviewed by the Scholarship Committee. This committee will consider the following key factors when reviewing each candidate. Please use these factors as a guide for what information to include and emphasize in your application documents:
- Financial Need
- Humanitarian activity/community service
- Recommendation Letter
- Extra-curricular activities
QUALIFICATIONS AND PROCEDURES
- To apply, the following are to be submitted to the DC Dental Society Foundation by 09/17/2023 via the online Scholarship Application Form:
- A letter of recommendation from at least one HUCD alumni, HUCD faculty member, or DC Dental Society member. This letter must specify the qualifying relationship between the applicant and HUCD alumni, HUCD faculty member, or DC Dental Society member.
- Proof of enrollment in the Howard University School of Dentistry.
- A copy of the applicant’s grades from the two most recent academic years [either official or non-official transcripts].
- A statement of purpose (not to exceed 500 words), which describes plans for your career in dentistry, why you should be chosen for this scholarship, and your need for financial aid.
- All decisions by the Scholarship Committee are final.
- Applicants will be notified in writing no later than October of the year the scholarship will be awarded.
- The recipient will claim their award by notifying the Scholarship Committee in writing, no later than November of the year the scholarship is awarded. Should the scholarship go unclaimed, the Scholarship will be returned to the Scholarship Fund.
- The Scholarship can only be awarded to a recipient once in any 4-year period.
- Scholarship recipients will provide a photograph and brief biography for publication.
- Up to three (3) scholarships, in the amount of $1,000 each, will be awarded each year. The DC Dental Society Foundation Scholarship Committee is not obligated to award a scholarship in any given year.
- The Scholarship will be presented directly to the recipient and applied at their discretion toward their greatest need.